Back in July, when Juliette was about 10 months old, I realized that I am not the "stay at home mom" type. So I started looking for a job. The tough economy proved to be a bit of a hurdle, and I really wanted to work in Jackson. I decided that I wanted to work at Allegiance, it was close to home and offered positions of reception and secretarial work, which I really enjoy. But my online application came back unacccepted. I found a job through Manpower in Ann Arbor, a temp agency, working at U of M as a unit clerk. Just what I was looking for.
It was actually a pretty busy job a lot of the time, and I enjoy that type of position, so it was a good fit. Except that drive. By the time I paid for gas and daycare, and if I bought my lunch in the cafeteria, I was just breaking even. So my kids got experience with other kids, and I got out of the house, but it would be nice to bring something home.
Manpower kept telling me that U of M was going to hire some Manpower people (and they told me I was doing well and would be hired) and that hiring was starting January 10.
Well I got sick of driving one hour one way, so about six weeks after I started at U of M, I applied at Allegiance. My hospital experience (and perseverence at getting an interview) must have been enough, because I got a job offer.
At the time I was a little discouraged because it was only part time, and I was full time at U of M. But the pay was better (not a temp agency anymore) and I was much closer to home. Between the gas savings and the daycare savings, I was making money!
But for a while I did wonder if I would have been hired by U of M and made that "great money" they had talked about for so long. I really missed the doctors and nurses that I worked with and the fast pace.
Well today I talked to a friend that I worked with at U of M, back in November when I left, she too was "doing well" and should be hired "soon". Today, in mid-April, she told me positions were only offered a couple of weeks ago. She said that me leaving U of M for my current job was a great decision, and we joked that April must be the new January. :)
So today, I am very thankful for my part time position. I do get a lot more time with my family, and surprisingly the gas cost savings helps me bring more money home working part time than when I was full time. AND bonus, if I want to go back to college (my current hope for myself) I actually have some time to do it!
First day of school, 2011. Preschool for Anna. Daycare for Juliette. :)
My sisters, best girls in the world! 7-4-11
Annabelle turns 3! Dancing in her Easter hat.
Juliette showing off her matching purse and hat, on Annabelle's 3rd birthday.
Two Pretty Princesses - 2009
Juliette, happy baby!
Annabelle, so sweet :)
Mommy and Juliette
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment